2018 Joe Moore Award
COLLEGE FOOTBALL’S MOST OUTSTANDING OFFENSIVE LINE UNIT
The Joe Moore Award for the Most Outstanding Offensive Line Unit in College Football today revealed the selection of three finalists for this year’s national honor, announced The Foundation for Teamwork, which has presented the unique award since 2015.
THIS YEARS WINNER …
THE OKLAHOMA SOONERS OFFENSIVE LINE
- Oklahoma’s high-powered offense has been a big story this season, as the Sooners lead FBS in points per game, yards per game, and yards per play. The Sooners have gone three-and-out on just 6.8 percent of drives – nearly two percent better than second-place Army – and they’ve averaged .711 offensive points per snap, the highest mark in FBS in the last 25 seasons.
- Oklahoma rushers have averaged 6.7 yards per carry this season, second in FBS and the highest mark in Big 12 history. The Sooners have rushed for negative yards on just 15.2 percent of carries this season, second lowest in the Big 12.
- The Sooners has passed for an average of 11.1 yards per drop-back this season, the highest rate in Division I history. Oklahoma has been especially good at moving the chains, as 48.8 percent of its total drop-backs have resulted in a first down or touchdown, the highest rate in the FBS.
What Voters Said
“They were technical and fundamentally sound. Consistently finished their blocks. Always looking for work, especially on second level blocks which sprung many of the big runs. Once they had the line of scrimmage secured and displaced, they turned up the intensity and continued tracking and engaging defenders downfield. Beautiful.”
“Very efficient in both protection and run game. I thought they played with the most attitude. All of the finalists were tough and physical, but it seemed like Oklahoma went out of their way to try punish their opponent any chance they got.”
The 2018 Joe Moore Award finalists included:
- Alabama Crimson Tide – Offensive line coach: Brent Key; head coach Nick Saban
- Georgia Bulldogs – Offensive line coach: Sam Pittman; head coach Kirby Smart
- Oklahoma Sooners – Offensive line coach: Bill Bedenbaugh: head coach Lincoln Riley